These articles are published in the Slough Town FC programme. The Rebels play in the National League South in a swanky new ground. I’ve been supporting Slough since the beginning of time despite now living in Brighton.

Thursday, December 15, 2022

INTERVIEW WITH SCOTT DAVIES

Printed in the FA Trophy 3rd round  Tuesday 20th December 2022 v Taunton Town. We lost 1-0 in front of 299


I asked various Rebel fans to wrack their brains and come up with some questions for our new manager, Scott Davies. 


What has changed the most in football in the years since you started playing?


Most definitely changing rooms. I think these days, working in football clubs as well for Slough, I’ve seen a real change in people. When I was playing first team football at 19, I was still playing with a few old school players at the time and if they spoke to you in a certain way, you knew not to speak back! But that’s something you can’t do as much anymore.’


Who’s the most professional person (player) you’ve worked with during that time?


Probably James Harper at Reading. I’ve never known a player to eat, breathe and sleep football like he did. He was the first player I heard of to get astroturf in his garden so he could practice whilst at home!’


How has your match day routine changed as a manager compared to as a player?


It’s changed a lot! I've always got to the ground about an hour before any player arrives, I like to have my own time before a game but now that extra hour isn’t long enough. Writing on whiteboards, drawing up set pieces, pre match interviews, speaking to players who are starting and the ones that aren’t. It’s stressful enough but I’m loving it.’


Which is the best ground in terms of welcome, facilities etc you have visited as away player or manager?


I’m unsure if you’re asking about the best ground in this league or not…

In this league I always like playing at Dulwich, really nice people too.

Outside of this league it would have to be Newcastle away at St James Park in the Championship for Reading. Just an incredible atmosphere.’


You’re allowed to pick two players from Reading FC that you met last week for the next Slough game. Which ones?


The two players I would pick are, Andy Carroll and Scott Dann. Having conceded from two set pieces last week, it would be nice to add some height in both boxes with them two!’


Who is the best manager that you have played for?


I would have to say Gary Waddock. He got the best out of me at 19 for a couple of seasons. Brendan Rodgers was the best coach, not manager. In non league, Bakes and Unders!’


Who is the best player you have played against?


Tough one.. as an academy player, Mark Noble was incredible, head and shoulders above anyone. In senior football I would say Deco. Just a step ahead of everyone.’


How is it from going from being a senior player to being the boss


It’s been really enjoyable. My only frustration is that I would love to pick what I believe is our strongest starting 11 and be judged on that. I think if we are able to do that then people will see the real us.’


Are you enjoying being in charge? Is his missus enjoying you being in charge?


I’m enjoying myself being in charge, but unsure about the wife! To be honest, when it was announced she did say to me ‘I’m so proud of you but just don’t forget me’. Football already took over a lot of my time but even more so now. She understands that it’s a huge part of my life but I’m always wary that it can become obsessive for me.’


How is Togs finding his new role and still playing


Togs said to me that his role hasn’t changed too much. He obviously gets involved in picking the team and talks us through tactically what he expects on a match day. Togs is brilliant, extremely important to how we function at Slough, along with Yella who has been a great addition.’


Is it usual for new managers to ask ex managers for advice!?


Probably not usual no! But it’s not around tactical advice etc, it’s more about players being sent off, how would they have disciplined them? Or speaking to the board, am I okay to ask this question or that question of the board, etc. I’m just figuring out what I can and can’t do really, and what’s down to me and what isn’t if that makes sense.’


With Ebbsfleet having their £2.5 million debts covered last season by their owner and even Eastbourne posting loses of £800,00 how the hell can Slough compete in the National League South?


Heart, desire and hard work. They’re the only things that can sometimes combat ability. These other teams will be paying fortunes but we’ve sprung a few surprises on these teams in the past. You can be as good a player as you like, but when someone works harder than you, it is possible to ruin their day.’


If we had more money and you had to choose, would you prioritise a centre back or striker?


I don’t want it to come across that we have a striker crisis, but a striker. The reason I say that is because the hardest thing to do is to put the ball in the back of the net and we haven’t done it anywhere near as much as we need to this season. I really believe in this squad though. All I want is to be able to add maybe one or two more but they have to be right for us and the club. I won’t panic buy!’


On grass pitches we often seem to struggle at the start and we see players misjudging the bounce and pace of the pitch. I believe this is because we have to adapt to something we are not used to, as we train on astroturf and play more than half our games on astroturf. Would you consider moving the training session(s) before a grass fixture to take place on grass, so the players are better adapted from the start?


I can see where you’re coming from with this but it’s probably something that we wouldn’t do. Even finding a grass pitch to train on in December would be a nightmare with it being dark at 4pm. I do agree at times though with your comments, it’s a totally different game and does take a bit of getting used to. That’s what’s the warm up is for!’


Where do you see Slough in 5 years.


I think for me, it’s important that Slough are competing at the top end of the NLS. Let’s be honest, this season hasn’t gone to plan. Two months ago we were riding the crest of a wave and nothing could go wrong, but a bad run of form has completely changed our end goal. From play off challengers to a relegation battle, it’s not what any of us wanted.’


Your ideal plans for club short and medium term. How will you interact with fans on a regular basis to help with the future


Short term is most definitely to keep the club up. Medium term would be to build a team with experience and youth and be competitive in the NLS. I’m all for giving good youngsters an opportunity which you’ve most probably already seen so far. I want a high tempo team that the Slough fans will be proud of. I want teams to hate coming to Arbour Park. That’s what we need to get back to. A place where the support is bouncing again behind the goal, but I do realise that’s down to us to get the results in order to get the attendances back up.’


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home