These articles are published in the Slough Town FC programme. The Rebels play in the National League South in a swanky new ground. I’ve been supporting Slough since the beginning of time despite now living in Brighton.

Saturday, November 18, 2023

IN THE SPOTLIGHT


Printed in the FA Trophy 2nd round Saturday 18th November 2023 We won 2-1 in front of 631 

When the spotlight is on your team, you need to grab every opportunity to impress those who might not have been before or only occassionally, in the hope that they come back – or even better become a regularly supporter. A packed Arbour Park for Slough’s biggest ever attendance at the ground, could have easily overwhelmed the club. But from the outside it ran like clockwork with most importantly hardly any queues for the loos, bars and food vans.

But this doesn’t happen without proper planning and an army of volunteers that Slough is lucky to have.

Co-owner Ashley Smith told me “I certainly wasn’t surprised about the how many volunteers the club has as I’ve been involved in non league for over 20 years so know how integral they are to running a club. We started the Volunteer of the month award as we felt they needed greater recognition. "  

One of those volunteers is Keith Bryant. He told me 'I used to go and watch Slough at the Greyhound Stadium as a kid, but only started again when my two boys asked to go to a game. Our first match at Stag Meadow was the Salisbury FA Cup game in 2004. Adam and Paul both caught the bug and we've been supporting Slough Town ever since. It's obviously catching as my daughter and two granddaughters also attend games home and away."

Since retiring last November I've had more time on my hands so I regularly help out at Arbour Park, whether that's Children's Tournament, putting up advertising banners or building the new outside bar that came flat packed. I'm also Membership Secretary for the Slough Town Supporters Trust and the mini-bus driver for the 'Slough Town Community' team.”


Tell us about the Grimsby game

Preparations for me started on Friday afternoon when I received a call asking could I come and help put up the new goal nets. I think they needed someone tall! It probably took me, Barry and Ade about 2 hours.


All of the volunteers arrived at about 9 o clock on Saturday morning, so we could start putting in place the segregation fencing, make room for the extra toilets and put in place all of the outside bar requirements, which includes electric cables etc. Fortunately, we didn't have to do any work putting up the marquee's. I think I got back home around 4pm.


We arrived at Arbour Park at around 9.30am on the day of the game. Early on I spent most of my time moving tables and bottling up the outside bars, as well as finalising the fencing. Once the gates opened, I spent my time checking whether the 50/50, Golden Goals and match day programme sellers (Including my daughter Nicola) needed anything and advising supporters, looking for alcohol etc, where they would get served quicker. This resulted with me helping to pour cans into plastic pint pots, to aid the queuing time.


At the final whistle it's all hands on deck to put everything away and picking up the litter. Then a quick drink or two before heading home.

2pm Monday, me and Ade were back at Arbour Park dismantling the last of the fencing, ready for collection by the hire company.

Was it a lot more work than usual?’ you asked. Definitely a lot more. But I loved every minute. Anyone who'd like to volunteer on match days would be made very welcome.”


Cheers Keith and cheers to the army of volunteers that keep the club going


* If you want to volunteer speak to Ade or Kay at games or email adrian.gomm@sloughtownfc.net  


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home