These articles are published in the Slough Town FC programme. The Rebels play in the National League South in a swanky new ground. I’ve been supporting Slough since the beginning of time despite now living in Brighton.

Tuesday, November 21, 2023

ON THE SLOUGH TOWN SANITY BUS

 

Printed in the National League South game v Havant and Waterlooville Tuesday 21st November 2023 We won 2-1 in front of 436




During one of Scott Davies numerous FA Cup press appearances, he mentioned that Slough Town had saved his life. After beating his gambling addiction, it was playing for the Rebels that made him fall back in love with the game.


Well, I can’t say the Rebels had such a profound affect on me, but watching the team definitely keeps me sane. Sane might not have been on the word on peoples lips when I told them I was going to Grimsby on a Tuesday night. But after clocking up the train miles for all the previous cup games, there was no way I was missing the party and the clubs first ever visit to Cleethorpes. What’s 260 miles between friends.


Rebel supporters seem to fall into two camps. Older ones who have given up on top level football, or younger ones who can’t afford to watch it. I only support Slough Town but have found myself with a Brighton season ticket.


But for how much longer? A fantastic well run club, but one that becomes more corporate with every day. Brighton deserve all the praise for their scouting system which uncovers a convey belt of gems. But the football they play – often its like toying wearily with a mouse. My eldest isn’t so bothered about watching them anymore and taking my youngest to Whitehawk last weekend; after the game he said going to lower league football was more fun, probably cos they can have a poke about in all the nooks and crannies rather than have lids removed from their water bottles. Come the end of this season my Brighton season ticket could well be going in the bin.


I couldn’t afford the train to Grimsby. They quoted me £75 and would only sell one way. Er hello, I don’t want to move there. Thankfully the Supporters Trust twenty quid deal was a magnificent gesture and it showed by having a full house. (*If you haven’t already, you really should join the Trust)


If I was going to avoid service station slop I would need refreshing in Slough which never fails to disappoint. So English breakfast or curry or a mish-mash of both at RKM coffee right by the half abandoned Queensmere shopping centre. A decent potion of chana and paratha for just £6 followed by a couple of beers in the Brick House. Donning my Slough Town top and bobble hat people chatted about the game. But everyone was questioning why the coach were leaving so late. There would be no time for my usual away day research for my book – ‘Britains roughest boozers’.



Grimsby v Slough hadn’t caught the TV companies imagination but they missed out on a treat. It’s certainty not boring watching our team at the moment. We seem to have adopted a version of Kloops heavy metal football. We also like to gift opposition teams a two goal advantage before we put our pedal on the gas. And I love it. (well, maybe not the 2 goal advantage bit).


As we sprinted off the coach one lad pointed the way to the ground but said it wasn’t up too much. I beg to differ. The score line also flattered them and even their supporters agreed, but it was like the walking wounded out there at the end. For an hour tho we looked as on fire as Sloughs bus stations roof. And apart from one Frankenstein Monster of a steward, they were a friendly bunch. Probably helped by winning 7-2.


Grimsby fans also heaped loads of praise on us for the noise we made throughout the match – the grounds acoustics really helped; well and everyone singing – it certainty wasn’t the beer losing the vocal chords as we only got in the ground 15 minutes before kick off. Scotties dad commented “Every time I think that Slough fans can’t do more to support their team they consistently surprise me. Fantastic support and I’m sure that it’s much appreciated by the players and management team.” Which by the reaction of the squad at the end of the game you could see if was.


We really need an Acoustics Tsar at Arbour Park to find ways to stop the noise leaking out. Oh and a Drum co-ordinator so it doesn’t keep being left under the stand.


I wish Grimsby well, a great club and I hope our cup run has enticed a few more supporters, put a few more quid in the pot and given everyone a spring in their step.


As the coach finally pulled into Arbour Park, some went straight to do their milk rounds while Deano grabbed 4 seconds sleep before heading to work. I crawled into bed at my mums at 3.30am after having a fight with a strategically placed wheelbarrow. Then up at 9 for my third and probably last interview with Radio Berkshire on our cup adventure.


And as my train trundled back to Brighton I spent the day feeling relaxed and ready for action. Another day spent watching Slough Town, keeping me sane.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home