These articles are published in the Slough Town FC programme. The Rebels play in the National League South in a swanky new ground. I’ve been supporting Slough since the beginning of time despite now living in Brighton.

Friday, January 19, 2024

SCOTT DAVIES - THE ONE YEAR (AND A BIT) ANNIVERSIARY INTERVIEW


Printed in the National League South game v Maidstone United Saturday 20th January 2024  We won 2-1 in front 1054


                                       Pic by https://twitter.com/darthscrote

He's the highest placed player-manager in the pyramid, saved us from what looked like nailed on relegation last season and took us to the first round of the FA Cup. Not bad for first year as a manager.


Have you enjoyed the past year and a bit as a manger?


"It’s certainly been a huge change in my day to day life since taking over as the manager of the football club. There was once upon a day when my phone didn’t ring and all I had to think about was my Monday to Friday job and turning up at training on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Now it’s a lot different.


The phone is constantly ringing, on average I would say between 40-50 calls a day, but at its worst it was 110! Constantly thinking about our next opponent, watching games, figuring out who we are going to pick to play, talking to the management team with regards to their opinions. It’s very full on so when we do achieve 3 points on a Saturday afternoon or a Tuesday night it’s a great feeling that the hard work has paid off.


For me, I expected to become a manager in a few years time at a much lower level where I could earn my stripes and hopefully progress, so this has fast forwarded all of my plans. I’ve realised since day one what a great opportunity this has been for me, hence why I try and do it to the best of my ability with no stone being left unturned.”


Where does Slough Town rank in your football achievements


It’s very different looking at my career at Slough because now I look at it in two ways, as a player and as a manager. As a player I’ve loved being at the club under Bakes and Unders, all the way through to this present day.


With it being my first managerial role, when I look at this seasons FA Cup run, that ranks extremely high in my career highlights so far. It was a proud moment for us all which created some fantastic memories for everyone and it’ll be something that I won’t forget.”


You mentioned Slough saved your life in one FA Cup radio interview – can you elaborate a bit more for those that don't know your story


Sure. It’s quite straightforward and not too complicated. Having been a full time footballer for a period of time, I felt as though as I was playing football without really enjoying it, it became more of a job than something I loved doing. I’d played for a number of non-league clubs before Slough but never really had the ‘buzz’ like I do now and that’s thanks to Bakes and Unders. I really enjoyed playing under them and it allowed me to love football against like it was a hobby. At one point I felt as though the love I had for the game had completely fallen away but fortunately now, that couldn’t be any further from the truth as I’m obsessed by the game these days. People make football enjoyable, staff, team mates and fans, and at Slough it’s full of brilliant people who enable that to happen.”


There seems to be a real bond between the players, management and the supporters - how important is that to the success of the club


Huge. I’ve never been one to shy away from conversations with people at football clubs. I hate the thought of it being ‘us’ and ‘them’, we need to be united. I often remind the lads that we are the fortunate ones who get to represent the club on the behalf of the supporters so we have to represent it with pride, which I believe we do more often than not.


I’m a massive people’s person and always have been so I like to think there’s no hierarchy at the club where people see myself, the staff and players as unapproachable. I doubt there are many other clubs at this level where the players know a lot of the fans by name, and that’s great!”


Favourite game you played in


My favourite game would have to be Ebbsfleet at home or Kings Lynn away. Ebbsfleet for different reasons now that I am managing, so to get through to the FA Cup First Round was special, but Kings Lynn was some day!”


And best free kick?


Would have to be Grimsby because of the occasion but from a technical point of view, I would say Farnborough was the most difficult.”



Who in the Slough team would you choose to be stuck on an island with


Yella is a really emotional person so if I didn’t pick him, he would have a go at me! I think we would have a laugh so that would be good fun! Out of the players I’d go with Josh. He’s intelligent enough to start a fire, catch some food and cook it for me. I think the rest would struggle!”


And finally, Sue asked whose your favourite club shopper manager


Definitely Sue. What a diamond she is!”


Thanks Scott for a very entertaining first year. Here’s to many more.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home