These articles are published in the Slough Town FC programme. The Rebels play in the National League South in a swanky new ground. I’ve been supporting Slough since the beginning of time despite now living in Brighton.

Tuesday, February 28, 2023

FROM SLOUGH CENTRE TO ARBOUR PARK



Printed in the National League South game v Bath City Tuesday 28th February 2023  We lost 3-0 in front of 421


There can’t be many Slough supporters who can say they have seen Slough play at every one of their grounds. But Richard ‘Ollie’ Hayward has and as he’s approaching his 77th birthday, I felt it was a good time to ask about his time supporting the Rebels.



How long you been supporting Slough

On and off from when I was a baby. I got taken to home and away matches as a child. Slough Centre became the main team due to my family home about half a mile away. The stadium could be seen from our back garden. I would have occasional visits to the Dolphin. My father also used to run his factory football side, Bitumen Industries, on Saturdays, so that would effect where I watched football.”


First game?


That would be 1946/1947. Sough United. Slough Town and Slough Centre amalgamation during war.”


So you've seen Slough play at all their grounds?


“Yes, I suppose I have. Slough Centre, The Dolphin, Wexham Park and now Arbour Park. Also the grounds we shared with other clubs during the nomadic period. Stag Meadow Windsor, Holloways Park, Beaconsfield. I seem to recall we did play some occasions at York Road Maidenhead. I am sure there were other locations but I cannot recall now.”

Best moments

Winning promotion to the Conference for the first at Bromley with a 85th minute winning goal by Neal Stanley after terrific play by Steve Thompson. The scenes that followed at Bromley's ground were wonderful with many hundreds of Rebels fans having invaded the pitch in joy, and the celebrations that followed at Wexham Park afterwards was incredible. I travelled with fellow STFC Management Committee members on the Team Coach, and the reaction from Supporters waiting at the Clubhouse for the coach arrival was amazing. The noise and spirit around was brilliant. Needless to say the celebrations that followed went on into the night and later in the morning. It was daylight for my happy stagger home! There have been many memorable great moments, but I feel this was the most unforgettable one.”

Worst times

There have sadly been a number over the years, and I have done my best to forget them. But the one that really still hurts is the defeat at Wembley in the Amateur 1973 Cup Final against Walton and Hersham who with very late goal from Roger Connell (an ex Rebel player) beat the Rebels in a scrappy game. I had joined the Royal Navy that year, and was scheduled to along with fellow trainee sailors for on a big training exercise that weekend of the Final. I applied to the Captain of the Establishment in Chatham and was granted Special Leave when I explained the situation about my support and at last Slough was playing at Wembley in a Final. What helped me was that in February I had volunteered to attend a weeks endurance and trekking in Snowdonia Mountains. It was freezing with thick snow but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience.”


Roles at the club


Football Secretary on two occasions. Management Board member prior the Club prior to being taken over by various organisation before the Thorne Family take over the Club. Now a Matchday volunteer.”


What’s your current role?


My task on matchdays is helping out with pre match preparations, gazebo setting up with tables and chairs in the bar and boardroom where required. Once gates open its selling golden goal tickets. Half time helping with 50/50 draw


Weren’t you also involved in supporters trust?


If you mean the Slough Town Supporter Association (STSA)? The STSA was formed by Steve Chapman, who was Chairman, along with Chris Sliski. Steve Cumber was next Chairman followed by me until I stepped down to become STFC Secretary, Mike Lightfoot took over from me. I was in the Royal Navy when STSA formed (1981?) based at Northwood, hence I was able to attend meetings and matches.

I was not involved with the current Trust set up, and only joined later. Whilst STSA was in action I became Deputy Chairman Southern Region of the National Federation of Football Supporters Clubs , which later became the Football Supporters Association.

I qualified as football referee whilst in RN, and officiated not only regular service football during weekdays but local Slough games, including the Supporters football team on numerous matches.”


Why you still support the Rebels


“It is just part of my life. Even when I had prolonged periods away from football, due to my first job as a Telegram Boy on a Saturday work, my career with the Royal Navy at home sea and abroad. But whatever I did my best to follow the Rebels.”

One thing that could be done to improve lower league football

A regular income to all levels evenly to be shared to football via the FA from the extremely obscene wealthy clubs that are in the Premier Division. Better coverage of Non League Football media, whether National and Local radio, TV or newspapers and not just on FA cup runs from the First round proper.”


In your time of supporting Slough how would you say we are doing at the moment

Looking promising especially after nine years of a very good management pair. I feel that they there is more to come especially if the Club can retain their Current League status. The new management are taking shape with the task in hand.”


Any ideas on how to attract more supporters

Warren this is the most difficult one, I would like to see the Club's encouragement that is in action at present continue and succeed with their endeavours to encourage football community spirit all levels regardless of gender or ethnic background.”


Cheers Ollie, a proper Slough supporter and one of those unsung volunteers that keeps lower league clubs ticking over.


1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great article Ollie and so interesting snapshot of the club since WW2. You were such a loyal supporter of mine during my tenure as Chairman of the club when we were in the Conference, many thanks for that. See you Saturday v Ebbsfleet, you never know you might get on the TV !

9:58 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home