These articles are published in the Slough Town FC programme. The Rebels play in the National League South in a swanky new ground. I’ve been supporting Slough since the beginning of time despite now living in Brighton.

Saturday, March 11, 2023

THE SLOUGH TOWN TWITCH


Printed in the National League South game v Hungerford Town Saturday 11th March 2023. We won 4-0 in front of 687


When we re-opened the Bevy Community Pub one of the things we insisted on was making anyone who walked in – whever it was their first time or five hundredth – feel welcome. Because well, that’s what pubs should do. Non League clubs should also always have that same mindset and I reckon Slough are a friendly bunch (well apart from those two hooligans on the turnstiles) who lay out the red carpet and will even lend you a tambourine to join in the songs like some Rebel Gospel Choir.


At clubs like Hungerford with a population of just 6,000, you get this friendliness in bucketfuls. The first time I went there I got lost in a pub backing off onto a forest. They served me a beer, called me a cab (or something like that) and the driver turned out to Hungerford's kitman. The chairman is always there to greet you and they’ve an impressive amount of deals to entice people in. I went for the £20 ticket which got me entry, a programme, a meal and a drink.


I missed the corker of a game last week. While Brighton were demolishing West Ham I was refreshing my phone in disbelief that Slough came back and grabbed a point against high flying Worthing with just 9 men for over half the game. I also missed the food truck that got everyone drawling. And I also missed the visit from a twitcher; not the sort who goes birdwatching, but the sort who plays interactive computer games.


When 31 year old primary school teacher Callum pulled out a Slough Town top from a magic box, it was marriage at first sight. Callum lives on the Welsh borders so Slough probably wouldn’t have been his first choice.


So what is twitch streaming and football manager. Callum explained


Twitch streaming is when you play a game, in this case Football Manager and people watch you live with the ability to send messages that I respond to in real time. It’s a bit like interactive television.


Football Manager is a football management simulation game which is played on computer. You manage a football team making transfers, sorting tactics, training and of course managing the matches.”


So why Slough Town?


I chose Slough through chance with a mystery kit box. I stated that

whatever shirt it revealed would be my next club on the Football Manager game and within it was a Slough top from 2020 (I believe). I have since bought this seasons away shirt!”


Who do you support


I am an Evertonian so try to get to games when I can. I have been to Non League games before, I used to commentate for Chester FC and have also been to Salford and Wrexham.”


What were your expectations?


I honestly didn’t have any expectations from the game. I had been talking to Connor McNeish (Rebels Radio) and Ade via twitter for a while beforehand and we’d discussed a few things. I just wanted to come down and get the Arbour Park experience but I got that and so much more. Meeting Scotty and the team in the changing room, being interviewed by the club, working on the turnstiles with the chairman and even choosing man of the match. That’s without talking about how welcoming all of the fanbase were, some thought I was a potential new owner as I turned up in a suit jacket and Slough tie!”


How would you describe the day?


Surreal! I felt like a celebrity for the day which was so bizarre but absolutely magical. I’m just a man who plays a video game that people watch on the internet. Thank you so much Slough. I will be back!”


It’s heartening to hear about people feeling welcome at the club. Even a Worthing away fan said ‘Enjoyed my visit as an away fan yesterday despite the result. Fantastic set up and very welcoming.”


With the TV cameras heading to Arbour Park for the first ever live National League South game - which also happens to be on Non League Day - let’s get those surreal songs into everyone's living rooms, and make them all want a piece of the Rebel action.


* If you want to catch Callum's twitch streams he streams a couple of times a week over on twitch.tv/WhyCallum 




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home