These articles are published in the Slough Town FC programme. The Rebels play in the National League South in a swanky new ground. I’ve been supporting Slough since the beginning of time despite now living in Brighton.

Friday, March 01, 2024

BRAZIL OF THE NATIONAL LEAGUE

Printed in the National League South game v Bath City Saturday 2nd March 2024  We were winning 4-2 until game was abandoned in front of 1401 - biggest league crowd for years. 



Slough being Slough it wouldn’t be long before a Brazilian came along to Arbour Park. Being nosy one matchday I decided to introduce myself and find out who was this stylish man behind the goal.


Tell us about yourself


I'm Matheus Pinto, I was born in Brazil in a "small" town of a hundred thousand people called Barra do Piraí, about 60 miles uphill from Rio de Janeiro. I also spent 12 years of my life in Lisbon, Portugal, my second home, before coming to Cambridge in 2018 to work in the booming video games industry – firstly as an English to Brazilian Portuguese translator at Jagex Ltd, one of the biggest British-founded studios in the industry, then as a tech lead and project manager at the same company.”


How did you end up in Slough?


After the COVID pandemic hit, my company switched to a hybrid work style for a while before ultimately deciding to allow us to work fully remote from anywhere within the United Kingdom. So after a while I decided to escape the soaring housing costs in Cambridge and try and find a place closer to London, where I already spent a big part of my free time visiting friends and attending events, and Slough ticked all the boxes, being relatively more affordable and so well connected via public transport.”


How did you end up in Arbour Park?


Ever since I was a kid, I have always been connected to non-league football: my late grandfather was an honorary president of Royal Sport Club, where former Chelsea midfielder Ramires started his footballing

career; my uncle used to be my youth coach at their rivals Central Sport Club (where I quickly found out a footballing career was not on the cards for me) and my father has been a lifelong supporter of Bangu Atlético Clube – once a major force in Brazilian football back in the 80s, but long since removed from the big stages.


So when I felt the football itch starting to come up at the pre-season, I looked no further than my local Slough Town to scratch it, a decision I do not regret – Scott's team have provided us with many remarkable moments in this season so far, and seem on track to continue to do so!”


What's the best thing about coming to the football?


Undoubtedly the atmosphere – I have been extremely well received by everyone in Arbour Park, from club (and bar!) staff to players, management and fellow supporters, and it is truly beautiful to see people from all ages and backgrounds getting behind a club with such a great history and such strong ties to its community. I feel naturally more drawn to the "loud crowd", so during the games you will usually find me behind the opposition's woodwork, chanting, playing tambourine (thanks Warren!) and cheering on our Rebels no matter what the scoreboard says, trying to play a little part in what makes Arbour Park this fortress that other teams don't relish a visit to.”


Anything you think that could be improved?


Not at all, I think everyone at the club is doing a fantastic job and that is reflected in the rise in attendance numbers and our slow-but-steady climb through the league table. Everything is done with a level of professionalism that is often not found in semi-professional clubs, and any improvements shall come naturally as a result of all the hard work that is being put in the club. COYR!”


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home